Email Marketer’s writer’s block…
We’ve all had it at one time or another.
And, it sucks.
You know that you need to get something written. But your mind is just…
The words just aren’t there.
So, what do you do?
Well, you could force yourself to write something that is not up-to-par with your usual eloquent & inspiring compositions.
But, that wouldn’t be fair to your subscribers or yourself.
Instead, try these 5 tips to beat Email Marketer’s writer’s block and get your creative juices flowing again:
- Think about who you’re writing to. – If you haven’t already, now is the time to create a customer avatar. A customer avatar is the representation of your ideal customer or client.
Having a clear picture in your mind of the type of person you are writing to will help you create content that speaks directly to your subscribers’ wants and needs.
- Just start writing. – No, we’re not contradicting ourselves. We don’t mean for you to just write anything and send it out. That would be silly.
But, sometimes simply the act of writing can get you into the right headspace where the ideas start flowing.
- Check the news. – Doing a Google search on the topic you’re writing about can generate lots of great ideas.
For example, let’s say you need to write an email about a product that helps with personal branding.
Head on over to Google, type in your topic and read some of the news articles.
Then, you can pick a story or ‘angle’ to construct your emails around.
- Review your previous, high-converting emails. – Reading some of your earlier work that has produced great results can inspire you to come up with fresh, new takes on old content.
- Read your own email. – Chances are you are on someone else’s list. Take a few moments to read through the emails sitting in your own inbox. Doing so might actually spark some new ideas for your own email content.
By the time you’ve worked through the steps above you should be well on your way to crafting an excellent email that is worthy of your subscriber’s time.
But, don’t kid yourself.
Email Marketer’s writer’s block is bound to happen again.
When it does, it helps to be prepared.
Save yourself a lot of time and anguish by getting ready for the next time it strikes.
Before you find yourself staring at a blank screen and struggling with what to write try these helpful tips:
- Keep an Idea Log – Next time inspiration strikes, but you aren’t ready to use the idea immediately, write it down for future use. Then, when email writer’s block hits, you will have a list of great ideas to choose from.
- Poll your subscribers once in a while – This will help you get an idea of what challenges they are facing, what their goals are and how you can help them.
- Read (a lot) – Reading keeps your mind fresh with new ideas, gives you exposure different styles of writing and increases your vocabulary.
- Create an editorial calendar – Planning out your marketing activities well in advance can help fend off email writer’s block since you won’t be struggling to come up with subject matter on the fly.
Email Marketer’s writer’s block can happen to anyone at any time.
Has it ever happened to you?
Did you use any of the tips mentioned above?
We’d love to know. Share how you beat it in the comments!